Sunday, November 28, 2010

Horlicks

It was purely by accident that I fell in love with Horlicks. Around 1996, Nestle, SmithKline Beecham and other health drink manufacturers were involved in marketing wars, by giving freebies with their products. My brother used to pester Mom to buy those just to get the freebies. He wouldn't touch a tumbler of any of these health drinks. Mom would ask me to drink for fear of wasting. Horlicks was the last drink after which Mom decided not to buy any health drink.

Somehow, Horlicks stood out among others. Of course, as the proverbial ad (குடிக்க வேண்டாம், அப்படியே சாப்பிடுவேன்!!) goes, I used to eat Horlicks. May be the malted barley and the chocolate-less ingredients stole my heart. When you eat Horlicks, it sticks to your palate, which provides a good pass time cleaning it up with your tongue.

Mom used to make
Horlicks with milk until Nachiraj introduced us to the world of milk-less Horlicks. Horlicks with milk tastes similar to health drinks made for children. Milk beats the taste of Horlicks and dominates the cup. An extra lump of Horlicks makes it thick and gives a sense of cereal food.

Horlicks made with hot water is the original. No disguises, no domination from external forces and more importantly, tastes exactly like the powder, which I use to eat. It comes as a blessing in houses where milk is not bought daily. When you make it with hot water, be it more powder or less powder, only adds to the taste. The amount of powder, I would say, to an extent, affects my mood after having the drink. Only that, you need to be careful with the amount of sugar.

I've been drinking Horlicks for more than 12 years. No complaints so far. Horlicks is marketed in UK, as a drink that induces sleep (to be taken before sleep), while in India, it is marketed as an energy booster for children (to be taken in the mornings and evenings). I don't know what GlaxoSmithKline would offer as reason. To me, Horlicks is a pacifier, feel-good drink.

I love to have Horlicks after breakfast, after supper, when it rains, when I'm boring myself, when no one is around to talk. If you made a perfect cup of Horlicks for me, I wouldn't forget you for my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment