Friday, September 30, 2011

What do I like about America?

Enough of America bashing. Let's get down to it. There should be things I like about the United States.

Right from the moment I landed at LAX, people started asking me, w
hat I'm here for. I was tired of answering with one syllable: Work. Well, I never did that full-fledged, is altogether a different story.
  1. I liked this aspect of my work very much - doing things quick, with precision. No second thoughts. I had to. Work demanded that.
  2. A long walk to the chop shop, oops, the work place, and back to the apartment - occasionally with company, most of the time alone. It helped me a lot in self-reflection.
  3. Respect for pedestrians. I happened to be in California and not in Florida. Had it been otherwise, I might have switched this point to "Things I hate about America". Nevertheless, anyone coming to this country from India for the first time, would greatly appreciate this fact.
  4. Infrastructure - Again, I happened to be in California and not in Louisiana. The almost ever supplied electricity and well laid roads attracted me very much.
  5. The most important thing for any Indian - the exchange rate.
  6. Respect for Traffic Rules - Almost everyone obeys the signal. Embarrassing for any one from Chennai.
  7. A strange display of unity among Indians.
  8. The peculiar conditions that nakedly expose the characters of people.
  9. And of course, the evergreen longing for the Homeland.
There is nothing else I could think of.

2 comments: